Creativity & the Arts
- The exquisite Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota is managed by Florida State, thereby affiliating Florida State with the finest art museum of any public university in the country.
- Students in the Florida State College of Motion Picture Arts hold the record for having won more student Emmy Awards in a single year than any other film school.
- The College of Motion Picture Arts is the only U.S. film school to cover the production costs for all of its student films, which total more than 250/year.
- Florida State has two unique venues for interdisciplinary collaboration between researchers, faculty and students in the sciences and the arts – the Facility for Arts Research and the Master Craftsman Studio.
- The Florida State Flying High Circus, whose student performers receive no pay or course credit, rivals any professional circus and is one of only two collegiate circuses in the country.
History & Tradition
- Florida State occupies the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida, and its original predecessor was founded in 1851 by Thomas Jefferson’s grandson, Francis Eppes.
- The revered relationship the university maintains with the Seminole Tribe exemplifies Florida State’s respect for heritage and diversity.
- Florida State’s first permanent study abroad center was established nearly 50 years ago in Florence, Italy, and since then others have been added in London, England; Valencia, Spain, and Panama City, Panama.
- With more than 20 international locations and 1,600 student participants each year, Florida State is consistently recognized as a leader in the field of study abroad.
- The Florida State campus is gradually being transformed into an arboretum, as its plant life is labeled, cataloged and mapped for scientific and educational purposes.
- Among the richest collections in the Special Collections and Archives unit of the university libraries are those regarding Napoleon and the French Revolution, poetry, political papers, and the history of Florida.
- No other intercollegiate athletics program has had every one of its teams qualify for postseason play for two years in a row – but Florida State has.
- In 2012, for the third straight year, the Florida State University athletic program has finished in the top 10 of the final Division I Learfield Sports Directors' Cup standings.